Magento 1 to Magento 2 migration is one of the biggest concerns of Magento users in recent years. There are a variety of reasons to upgrade to Magento 2 but the primary one is that while continuous improvements were made on Magento 2, Magento 1 seems to lag behind with poor security patches. Apart from it, if you are planning to migrate the Magento site, you probably wonder how much time it’ll take to complete your project, don’t you? Actually, it’s immensely difficult to have an accurate answer but we can guide you to make an estimate. Let’s figure it out now!
5 Steps to Estimate Time For Magento 1 To Magento 2 Migration
As you might know, the time for moving from Magento 1 to Magento 2 is different across the websites since it depends on the complexity of each site as well as the requirements and budgets of the store owners.
A Magento migration process includes transferring the theme, extensions, database assets, custom code, configuring the new site, and testing. To make things easier, we will show you how to estimate the time for deploying each step.
1. Migrate Theme from Magento 1 to Magento 2
Theme migration to Magento 2 is no doubt one of the most crucial phases. One thing you need to know before coming up with an estimate is that your current Magento 1 theme would become useless after moving to the new Magento 2 store. As a consequence, it’s compulsory to build a new template for Magento 2, which can be similar or distinct from your old one.
In general, there are three methods to migrate theme from Magento 1 to 2, or in other words, create a design for Magento 2 (based/ not based on the Magento 1 theme) which require a different amount of time to implement:
- About 1 week: If you apply a ready-to-use Magento 2 theme to the new site, it will take nearly 1 week to install the theme and make some slight customization. There is a wide range of themes and templates for Magento 2 available on the market, both free and paid, for you to choose from. Nevertheless, we highly recommend you to spend your money on high-quality themes ($100-250 on average) for a better look and clean code instead of free ones.
- About 1 month: If you don’t want to change the design from Magento 1 to Magento 2, you should think about the website cloning option that takes at least 1 month to conduct. In fact, the time for cloning your existing store depends greatly on its design complication. In case that your M1 storefront is far different from Magento 2 default, with a lot of special effects, it can take several months to migrate the theme. Besides, having a PSD design of the current website might be very useful for the cloning process.
- From 2 to 3 months: Assuming that you want to neither use a template nor clone the current website but build a fresh and unique one for the new site, it would take from 2 to 3 months to achieve. More specifically, the first month might be spent on raising ideas and working with the website designers and the next months might be for frontend coding.
Magento 2 Theme Migration: Estimated from 1 week to 3 months depending on the methods of migrating the theme (apply the ready-to-use theme/ clone the Magento 1 website/ build a totally new design for Magento 2)
2. Migrate Extensions to the new site
Unfortunately, there is no way to continue using both the current Magento 1 theme and extensions on the Magento 2 website. Therefore, you will have to buy new extensions with the same functions but for Magento 2 to maintain the performance of the site.
Besides spending time on finding new Magento 2 modules and plugins, you have to anticipate the time for installing and configuring those extensions. On average, it takes approximately three hours to install an extension. The larger number of modules you have, the greater time it consumes to migrate. In addition, you’ll need to allocate 1 or 2 days extra to solve possible conflicts after setting up all of the extensions on the site.
Magento 2 Extension Migration: Up to 1 week to find new modules and plugins plus time to install those extensions (3 hours/ module X number of modules) and time for conflict solving. Estimated from 1 to 2 weeks.
3. Transfer Data from Magento 1 to 2
The next pivotal phase of the Magento 1 to Magento 2 migration process is migrating database assets between two sites. We will need to transfer the products, categories, customers, orders, CMS pages and blog content, testimonials, ratings and reviews, and so on.
Thanks to the useful Magento Data Migration Tool provided by Magento, it takes less effort and time to move the data (up to 1 week on average). However, if don’t have enough knowledge and skill about Magento data migration, it’s better to hire a Magento development agency to do that. There is a high possibility of data loss if the migration is not carried out by professionals.
Magento 2 Data Migration: Estimated 1 week (for 2-time Magento DB migration)
4. Migrate Code from Magento 1 to Magento 2
Dissimilar to the theme and extensions, we are able to migrate the code from Magento 1 to 2 by using the Magento Code Migration Toolkit. However, not all the custom code is compatible with Magento 2 so you might need to rewrite it. In the worst cases, it’s impossible to migrate the custom module/ functions and you have to re-develop it from the beginning.
Magento 2 Code Migration: Estimated from 1-2 weeks.
5. Configure and Test the new Magento 2 store
After completing the theme, extension, data, and code migration process, what you need to do is configure the new Magento 2 store (email templates, languages, store views, tax, shipping, payment, promotions, etc.). If your website is integrated with various shipping and payment methods, it would take 1 week to set up. Furthermore, you need to set up your server, optimize the whole site to meet SEO standards, augment site speed, and so on.
The final stage of the Magento 1 to Magento 2 migration process is making a thorough test on the new site to make sure that all functions work smoothly.
Magento 2 Configuration & Test: Estimated from 2-3 weeks.
All things considered, it’s foreseen to take from one to five months to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2. You should make a detailed Magento migration plan to specify what needs to do and the estimated time for each task. Then, let’s allocate your time appropriately to both manage the existing site and migrate it to the new site effectively.
Looking for the Affordable Magento 1 to Magento 2 Migration Service?
As we have mentioned, Magento 2 upgrade might take a lot of time and effort, more importantly, it requires strong technical expertise. Owing to that, if you are not confident to implement the migration yourself, why don’t you give us a chance to help?
With more than 9 years of experience in Magento development and Magento migration, we are able to migrate your store to Magento 2 in the optimal time, with guaranteed quality and within your budget. Moreover, we provide 6-12 months of free support for all Magento projects. Now, contact us and we will give you a free detailed quotation for your project.[ratings]