When it comes to developing a mobile app for Magento website, one of the first concerns is the time it takes to build the app. If you turn to a developer to find the answer, we’re 80% sure that you will receive many vague answers, for example: “It depends”, “I don’t know”, “It’s hard to say”, etc. Here is the reason: Building a mobile app for Magento website indeed depends on numerous factors such as the type of app (progressive web app/ hybrid app/ native app/ …), the app complexity (number of features/ customers/…), the experience of developer(s), and your financial ability, and so on. Moreover, even when you have defined specifically all of these things, it will still be impractical to make an exact prediction for how much time you will spend on building a mobile app for Magento until it is released.
However, don’t be panic since we are here to help you overcome this stage! With more than 5-year experience on Magento mobile app development, we are able to anticipate the right time for developing a Magento mobile app based on the following criterion:
Availability of The Ideas
- Yes: If you have already had certain ideas and specific requirements of desired app (design, functions, …), it would take 2-4 months to build the app.
- No: Otherwise, you have to study and come up with some good ideas for the app creation in 1-2 months first, so it might take 4-6 months from kick off to testing and then delivery.
Level of The App Complexity
The level of app complexity is the most pivotal factors deciding the duration of developing a mobile app for your Magento store. In terms of back-end development, It will include the number and difficulty of functions, the supported platform(s), the audience size, and so on. Besides, for front-end development, it mainly relates to the user interface (UI) development.
Therefore, building a simple mobile e-commerce app can take 1-3 months while creating a complex one is a lengthy process, 4-8 months to become bug and glitch free.
Type of The App
Up to now, there are various types of mobile app for Magento such as native apps, hybrid apps and progressive web apps.
- Native Apps: Among the 3 most popular types of mobile app, developing the native apps take the largest amount of time, cost and effort. Since each native app is optimized for a single platform, an iOS app cannot run on Android and vice versa. Moreover, the average time to develop each version of app is 6 months so you might need to spend 1 year to serve the customers using either iOS or Android operating system.
- Hybrid Apps: Unlike the native apps, you can build the hybrid apps on a single base and add new features to different versions of apps . Therefore, developing the hybrid apps are easier and faster than developing the native apps. In general, it will take 3 months on average to build a hybrid mobile app for Magento website from the scratch. Luckily, if you use our ready-made Magento 2 Mobile App Builder, you can create your app in just a few hours. Then, in case you want to customize some parts of the newly created app, you should consider using our customization service with a very reasonable fee. As a result, the maximum time to build your Magento hybrid app with customized featured is just 1 month.
- Progressive Web Apps (PWA): This is the latest technology of Google that competes with the native/ hybrid apps due to use modern web capabilities to deliver an app-like experience to the mobile users. If you want to build a progressive web app, there are 2 options. The first one is that you must spend at least 1 month to build it on your own (including time for studying). The second one is downloading free and installing our Magento 2 Progressive Web App Extension. By this way, it take just 1 hour and $0.00 to equip your Magento store with a modern PWA.
Size of The Team
All of the above estimations are made for just only one developer. If you possess more developers (e.g.: a team with 3-4 persons), the time for building the mobile app for Magento website might be curtailed significantly.
All things considered, to clarify needed time for mobile app development, we have to analyze the complexity level of the app, type of the app and know the size of the development team. If you still find it too complicated and want to estimated time for a specific situation, please contact us and tell your need. You can send email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or send us a contact form.