There are dozens of consequences when your Magento website has a slow page load speed. For example, it can make your customers feel frustrated, kill your conversions and decrease your site rankings on Google and other search engines. That’s why most of the Magento store owners try to apply all ways to enhance their website speed. Among available solutions, integrating AMP or PWA with Magento stores seem to be most effective. However, PWA is highly recommended while AMP is not for some reasons that we are going to discuss today.
How Do You Know About AMP & PWA?
- What is Progressive Web App (PWA)?
PWA is developed with the aim of blurring the gap between websites and mobile apps and only “filter” and keep the best of each channel. With PWA, Magento store owners can bring about the app-like experience to their customers while not giving up on reach of their website.
To upgrade a normal Magento website to a Magento 2 PWA, the developers will develop a new PWA Storefront (by ReactJS) to supplant the existing Magento frontend. Also, they must develop API to connect that PWA Storefront with Magento backend.
After being integrated, the site will have all powers of the Progressive Web App. Their web page speed will be 3-5 times faster than before – on both desktop and mobile devices.
Available solutions to convert Magento website to a PWA:
+) Magento PWA extensions (limited features)
How it works (for end-users):
+) On desktops: As you can see, Magento 2 PWA’s page load speed on the desktops is impressive, which is even significantly faster after you browse on the site for a while or in your next visit. It’s worth noting that there is absolutely no WHOLE page load, only Ajax loading to show the selected content (under a fixed menu and header).
+) On smartphones, tablets: When you open Magento 2 PWA demo on the browser of your mobile device, Chrome for example, you will instantly notice 2 popups asking your permission to send push notification and inviting you to add the PWA to your home screen. Once it is added, you can easily launch the PWA and enjoy its incredible app-like experience (splash page, full screen, offline mode, background sync,…)
- What is Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP)?
Needless to say, the key advantage of AMP is reducing the page load time and providing content to users in a minimum time span. Some websites can reach 4 times faster after transformed to AMP. Besides, AMP can help to enhance your site visibility on SERPs and get more traffic.
Available solutions to convert a Magento website to Accelerated Mobile Pages:
+) Magento AMP extensions
+) Magento AMP themes
The available AMP modules and templates for Magento will help the store to create and edit the content of AMP pages (for Home page, Category pages, Product pages, CMS pages) with a simplified HTML structure, and integrate with Google Analytics to track the performance of those pages.
How it works (for end-users):
When the users enter a query on Google search engine, it will show some top stories (AMP versions of some websites) above regular results for that query. As a result, publishers who have AMP versions of their content might have a higher chance to rank on SERPs. Take a look at the below example for better understanding.
Examples of PWA & AMP Application
Downvotes for Magento 2 AMP. Why?
You might be very confused when we first did not support Magento Accelerated Mobile Pages but then showed many benefits of using it, right?
Now, we will tell you the reasons:
- AMP is more suitable for publishers. To be more specific, AMP works it best for the websites that have static content such as news-publishing, blogs, or other informative sites.
- (Most importantly) Cart & Checkout are the most crucial pages for a Magento website, but unfortunately, AMP does not support these 2 pages. How do you think if your customers are very happy to browse and select products on your AMP pages, and are going to place the order but suddenly realizing that they cannot?
- Even when you build AMP you still need a regular version of your website. In other words, your original website and AMP pages are different entities and will work parallelly. As a result, AMP can do nothing to improve your current website speed.
- The Magento stores will need a separate Google Analytics to track the performance of AMP pages.
- AMP page design is restricted, which might result in lower user engagement and decrease conversions.
Until all of the above problems are resolved, the store owners can consider using Accelerated Mobile Pages.
Upvotes for Magento 2 PWA. Why?
As mentioned in the previous section, Magento 2 PWA can boost page speed regardless of the users’ devices.
And you know what, enhanced page load speed is just the beginning of the story! There are a lot of benefits that PWA can provide for your Magento stores, for instance:
- Enhanced user experience (with app-like experience, offline mode, background sync)
- Improved SEO rankings (reducing bounce rate, raising session duration, increasing user experience…)
- Secure transactions thanks to SSL certification (HTTPs)
- Effective mean of customer approach (with push notifications)
- Add to home screen and updates with ease
Similar to AMP, PWA can also be applied for news websites. The difference is that PWA can meet all of the expectations of both news and e-commerce websites while AMP cannot.
Final Thoughts On Magento PWA and Magento AMP
Nowadays the success of an online business highly depends on how it delivers mobile shopping experience.
As a Magento store owner, you should carefully consider which is the best method to speed up your site on small-screen devices. Unquestionably, Accelerated Mobile Pages are effective to generate a fast website but there are a lot of shortcomings associated with it. On the other hand, Progressive Web App not only gives you speedy web pages but also contributes to enhancing user experience and your site rankings.
If you want to get to know more about Magento PWA as well as want to integrate this modern technology to your store, just contact us! Now, we are providing an exclusive solution that will help you to build a PWA in the shortest period of time and satisfy your budget.