WHAT IS CONFIGURABLE PRODUCT IN MAGENTO 2?
The configurable product is one of the most popular product types of Magento. It looks like a simple item plus a list of options for each variation. For example, the store sells a T-shirt and offer different colors (yellow, green and red) and sizes (S, M and L) of that shirt for the buyers to choose. In this case, the yellow T-shirt is in fact a separate simple product, which has a unique SKU. Therefore, it is easy for us to track inventory for every variation.
Configurable Product on the Category Page
Configurable Product on the Product Page
HOW TO CREATE A CONFIGURABLE PRODUCT IN MAGENTO 2?
There are only 5 steps to create a configurable product. Here we will create a simple product – a T-shirt with 3 colors and 3 sizes.
- 1st step: Go the Admin Panel, navigate to PRODUCTS, tap Catalog, on Add Product choose Configurable Product
(Admin Panel => PRODUCTS => Catalog => Add Product => Configurable Product)
- 2nd step: Fill in the Required Fields (Product Name, Price, Category, Description, …)
- 3rd step: Create Configurations
Firstly, click on Create Configurations button in the Configurations section.
Secondly, select attributes. You can choose among available attributes (tick on the box) then click on the Next button. If you want to create a new on, click on Create New Attribute button.
Here I will use 2 attributes – color and size.
Thirdly, select attribute values by ticking on the box.
Fourthly, configure Images, Price & Quantity. If you want to use the same image/price/quantity for all SKUs, please choose Apply single… . In contrast, if you want to apply different image/price/quantity for each SKUs, please choose Apply unique… .
Fifthly, check product summary then click on the Next button.
- 4th step: Set product thumbnail – select among your variations and make it the shopping cart thumbnail.
- 5th step: Save product and review on the front-end.