A. Create New Categories in Magento 2
There are just 4 simple steps to create a new category in Magento 2.
- Step 1: Go the Admin Panel, navigate to PRODUCTS and choose Categories (Admin Panel => PRODUCTS => Categories)
- Step 2: Select Parent Category of the new category
From the beginning, there are just 2 categories in the Category Tree which are Default Category & Example Category.To create a new category, first you must select the Parent Category of your new one. (For example, to create the new category called Trousers for women, you must click on Women to select it as the parent category). Then, click on the button Add Subcategory and wait for the page to reload.
- Step 3: Complete New Category Information
- Enable new category & include it in the navigation menu: Select Yes in these 2 sections
- Add category name
- Content: Upload category image & write description which will appear in the Category landing page
4. Display Settings: Choose the Display Mode that you want among Product Only, Static Block, Static Block & Products. For product listing and layered navigation price step, you can use Config settings or uncheck the box and set as you want.
5. Search Engine Optimization: You must set URL key, Meta title, Meta Keywords & Meta Description for the new category page.
6. Choose product(s) belong to the new category: Check on the box for selection
- Step 4: Save the new category you have created and check it on the front-end.
B. Manage Categories in Magento 2
- How to move a category in Magento 2?
In order to move a certain category to another parent category, you just need to drag and drop it in the category tree. Then the new order will be automatically updated.
2. How to delete a category in Magento 2?
First, you must choose the category you want to delete and click on it. After page reload, please click on the Delete button (next to the Save button) and confirm to delete it. It’s worth noting that once you delete a category, you cannot get it back so be cautious.
To sum up, we have shown you how to create new categories in Magento 2 as well as how to manage these categories in Magento 2 store. Hope that you guys find this tutorial useful. See you in the next one.