Most of the Magento store owners now are concerning about how to migrate Magento 1 to 2 since there are a lot of Magento 2 improvements while Magento 1 has become obsolete. Notwithstanding, many e-commerce businesses failed to implement Magento migrations due to lack of knowledge, time, or money. As a result, their upgrade projects are uncompleted or might face some serious problems such as data loss (products, orders, customers), extension conflicts and so on.Therefore, in this post, we would like to give you some useful advice to overcome unexpected issues and upgrade to Magento 2 successfully. Here are some “must” in the migration process:
1. Equip yourself with Magento migration knowledge
Before knowing how to migrate Magento 1 to 2 smoothly, you have to equip yourself with fundamental knowledge of Magento migration from 1 to 2.
We understand that a large number of merchants don’t have technical/ programming knowledge and will outsource their projects to Magento agencies. However, they still need to have a foundation of Magento migration in order to evaluate the proposals from the service providers as well as follow their work during the migration process. For example, you have to know all of the following facts and more:
- Migration to Magento 2 is dissimilar to upgrading from Magento 1.x.x to a Magento 1’s latest version. In fact, we need to build a new website from the scratch on Magento 2 platform based on the current Magento 1 website.
- We can’t continue using the existing theme and extensions on Magento 2 but replacing with the new ones.
- There are several options for Magento theme migration, for example: apply a ready-made theme for Magento 2, clone the Magento 1 website (to build a similar one), or create a new unique design.
- It’s possible to migrate custom code to Magento 2 but it might cause conflicts in most of the cases.
- We can migrate database assets from Magento 1 to Magento 2 using Magento data migration tool.
- It takes from 1-3 months to convert Magento 1 to Magento 2, depending on the complication of your site and your expectations
- Magento migration cost is different among regions (outsourcing to an Asian Magento development company is always much cheaper than hiring a US/UK agency)
- We have to re-integrate shipping and payment methods to Magento 2. If you want to integrate with a third-party courier (beyond UPS, FedEx, DHL), you need to find a module to connect that courier to Magento 2 or ask the courier to provide its API. In addition, if you use a payment gateway that Magento 2 doesn’t provide by default (e.g.: Stripe), you have to integrate it by installing an extension to connect that gateway and Magento 2.
- We are able to set up a multi-language website on Magento 2.
There are several ways to acquire Magento migration knowledge including asking Magento experts, discussing with the reputable Magento development companies or doing research on Google,… Once you have enough essential knowledge about Magento 2 migration, you can negotiate with your Magento partner about the project with confidence.
2. Define your project scope and define your budget
The secret of “how to migrate Magento 1 to 2 successfully” is also in the way you prepare your budget.
As you might know, Magento migration comes at a (high) cost. For small-to-medium Magento e-commerce stores, Magento migration cost might be a financial burden. In order to address this problem, you should take our following guidance into your consideration:
- Step 1: Do your own research on the average cost of moving from Magento 1 to Magento 2.
- Step 2: Make a list of Magento migration service providers that might offer good prices (within your budget). As we have mentioned, the cost of hiring offshore Magento development companies in Asia is much lower than that of the agencies in the US, UK or Canada due to the big difference in labor cost. Hence, if you possess a limited budget, outsourcing your Magento migration project is the best idea. In general, it will cost $2,500- $10,000 to migrate to Magento 2 by Asian developers while you have to pay at least $15,000 to have your work done by American/ England coders.
- Step 3: Contact the Magento 2 migration service providers on your list and ask them for quotations. It’s worth noting that you have to provide your requirements in detail to get an exact quote; otherwise, they can just be able to give you a ballpark number or nothing.
- Step 4: Determine the hidden costs that are not included in the proposals. Actually, almost Magento development firms just mention their cost of carrying out Magento migrations that you have to pay them without mentioning the cost of buying new themes, extensions or other fees. (You can learn how to define and estimate those fees here). Therefore, the total cost of your project will be the estimated cost in the proposal plus the estimated hidden costs.
- Step 5: Define the scope of your Magento 2 migration project to meet your budget. In case that you can’t afford the anticipated Magento migration cost now, don’t give up yet! We highly recommend you to divide your project into different phases. In the first phase, you should develop a basic Magento 2 e-commerce website including theme implementation, extension installation, data migration, and fundamental functions configuration. In the second phase, you might develop other advanced and complicated functions. As a result, you can make your payment in multiple terms and have more time to prepare your budget. Remember to discuss straightly with your Magento agency about your Magento migration plan.
3. Allocate your time for Magento migration and other works
Besides knowing basic knowledge of how to migrate Magento 1 to 2 and well preparing a budget for that, you also need to spend a lot of time on the migration process. Even when you hire a professional Magento migration service provider, you have to support them throughout the process. For example:
- Before starting the project, you have to work with the project manager to clarify all requirements and define possible solutions and project scopes.
- After that, you have to examine the project schedule provided by the agency and reach agreement on project tasks/ subtasks, deadlines, milestones,…
- During the migration process, you have to provide the developers with the site access and related information. Also, sometimes you need to re-explain some requirements that are not truly clear from the beginning. In addition, it’s necessary to follow their work and give timely feedback. In many cases, there are unexpected issues that need the store owner’s decision to resolve as soon as possible. At the end of the project, it takes your time to test the whole new site to give the coders final feedback and check whether all of the work follows the initial plan.
Although most of the Magento business owners are very busy at store management, they have to arrange your work appropriately to oversee the migration process. Otherwise, there is a high possibility that their project will be failed. My advice here is to carry out the migration in a low-sale season so that the managers will have less operational tasks to take care.
4. Select the right Magento migration service provider
It’s no doubt that there are a variety of Magento development companies all over the world that provide Magento migration services. Nonetheless, it’s not easy to find an agency that can meet all of your requests. To make it simple, you should consider three following criterion to find your “ideal” partner:
- Experience: how many years of experience does the agency have in Magento migration? are they a reputable name in the industry? how is your project portfolio? how do previous clients evaluate their work?
- Pricing: how much is the agency hourly rate? is the offered price suitable to your budget? how is the price compared to average cost on the market? does the agency accept multi-term payment?
- After-service Support: does the agency provide support after moving the site to live? if yes, is it free of charge?
With more than 5 years of experience in Magento development, Tigren knows all the secrets of “how to migrate Magento 1 to 2 with 100% success rate”. We are confident to be one of your first choices when it comes to Magento migration service.
With the competitive advantage of cheap labor cost, we can offer very reasonable price compared to other Magento development companies in the world. Our hourly rate is just $25/hour, contact us now to get a free quote for your Magento migration project.
We offer 3-month Free support after finishing the project in order to achieve 100% customer satisfaction.
So, how to migrate Magento 1 to 2 without any problems?
All things considered, there are many factors that you need to concern to answer the question “how to migrate Magento 1 to 2 with success”. Firstly, you have to understand what Magento 2 migration is and how it will be conducted in essence. Secondly, let’s do your research carefully and well prepare your budget, avoiding the case of unfinished work due to run out of money. Finally, you should implement your Magento migration process in the right time, by the right partner.
If you want to get more advice about how to migrate Magento 1 to 2, just send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org, we are glad to help.
Wish your project success!