Rue B is a British Jewellery brand located in the city of York but expanding their business in Europe. They have been offering a wide range of costume, fashion, and sterling silver jewellery since 2002. In November 2018, they approached us to get a quote for their Magento migration project. After one week for discussion, we reached the final agreement thereupon. The project scope included theme migration, data migration, extension migration, M2E integration, new site configuration, and performance optimization. That’s why we call it a typical Magento migration case study, which will help you to understand more about the migration process from the beginning to the end.
How Was The Site Before Magento Migration?
The below screenshot is Rue B’s Magento 1 homepage look. As you can see, there is not a standard for the small banners on the homepage. For example, the names of the collection and texts on the button are on the same font and size. Moreover, those are not real buttons and texts, just a part of the image so if the store wants to synchronize the style, they need to edit every single image and re-upload on the media.
Besides, this design is not optimized for small-screen devices like smartphones. Firstly, because the banner sizes are unequal, the banners are not presented nicely when the site is responsive. Secondly, the header links (including My Account, My Wishlist, Checkout, Log In, Sign Up) is too small and hard to click, which should be replaced by a hamburger menu instead.
Additionally, compared to other modern e-commerce website designs, Rue B homepage does not show popular/ featured/ new products of the store.
Apart from it, the site is based on the Magento 126.96.36.199 version which goes with a technical-inclined and unfriendly admin panel for the store owner. Also, the website speed and performance are not at its best.
To improve all of the existing limitations of the store, Rue B owner decided to migrate from Magento 1 to 2.
Objectives and Challenges of This Magento Migration Case Study
In short, our client wants to build a new website on Magento 2 – the same but better website in terms of design and usability.
Based on the requirements, we proposed a Magento 2 migration plan includes:
- Migrating from Magento 188.8.131.52 to Magento 2.2.7 (the latest version of Magento 2.2.x up to now).
- Magento theme migration: We suggested using a Porto theme for Magento 2. This theme is close to Rue B product style but it can address the disadvantages of the old design. Also, from our experience, this template has a good quality of coding and can be acquired at a reasonable price. Our work includes installing and configuring the theme to make it work properly, as well as changing banners, font, color… as the client’s request.
- Magento extension migration: We found 5 replacements for current extensions on Magento 1 website. The client must buy those modules then we will install them on the new site.
- M2E integration: In Magento 1, the store installs M2E Pro plugin to integrate its Magento inventory to eBay and Amazon. We recommended the owner to use the same module for Magento 2 on the new store.
- Magento data migration: We advised the store to migrate only pivotal data such as sales (orders, invoices, shipments), products, customers and CMS pages.
- Shipping integration: We will integrate Royal Mail Click & Drop shipping carrier (by using an extension) in the new site as in Magento 1.
- Payment integration: We will integrate Amazon Pay payment gateway (by using an extension) in the new site and configure PayPal Payments Pro as in Magento 1.
- Site configuration: We need to configure currency, language, email templates… on Magento 2 store.
- Performance optimization: We will enhance website speed by optimizing PHP and MySQL codes, images, configuration, JS, CSS… on the site.
There are some challenges when migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2 in this Magento migration case study:
- Magento extension migration: For some modules, besides installation and configuration, we also need to import their data to Magento 2 or adjust their style on the front-end to match the theme.
- Blog migration: The blog of Rue B is built on WordPress, not a part of its Magento website. However, the client wants to merge the blog and the shop on only one website after migration to Magento 2. The difficulty here is not at enabling blog function on the new site but migrating all blog posts from WordPress to Magento.
- M2E Pro integration: M2E is a quite complicated module. After installation, we have to transfer the data from M2E Pro module for Magento 1 to M2E Pro module for Magento 2, including all configurations, listings, and orders.
- Shipping integration: The store needs integrating with Royal Mail Click & Drop and there is only one available extension to connect between that carrier and Magento 2. The thing is that that plugin does not support the latest version of Magento 2.2.7. Our solution is to still install the available extension on the store but we will fix all conflicts associated with it. Compared to develop a new module from the beginning, it takes less time and effort.
- Email templates migration: After migrating emails templates from Magento 1 to 2, there are a lot of content errors that we must fix.
Although there are many issues at the beginning, we could find proper solutions thanks to our strong experience in Magento 2 migration.
What Are The Changes Of Rue B Website After Magento Migration?
There are some significant changes in Rue B e-commerce store owing to Magento 2 migration, for instance:
- The text links are separated from the banners and in the same format
- The products are outstanding on the storefront, which draws customers’ attention
- There is a block to show Rue B’s Instagram images to appeal the visitors to follow their social network
- The search bar is no longer hidden, which makes it easier for the buyers to search for products
- The new Magento 2 admin panel with a modern interface is very easy-to-use
- All of the important database assets of the store are migrated without any data loss
- The admin can manage the blog more effectively, right on Magento backend
- The page load speed is improved
This is the new appearance of Rue B store after we migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2:
Hope that through Rue B’s Magento migration case study, you can imagine what will be going on in the developing process and some difficulties that you might confront. There is always a solution for it as long as you choose a competent Magento migration service provider.
Do You Want To Become Our Next Successful Magento Migration Case Study?
We have a very strong experience in both Magento 1 and 2 website development as well as Magento migration (either from Magento 1 to Magento 2 or from other platforms to Magento). Many clients come to us without understanding thoroughly about the migration process, but with our help, they could convert their websites from Magento 1 to Magento 2 successfully after just 1-3 months. Moreover, we can meet the needs and budgets of both small and large e-commerce businesses by giving proper solutions and offering affordable pricing.
If you are having a Magento 2 migration project in mind but don’t know where to start, just contact us and we will show you the way!
Check out another Magento migration case study carried out by Tigren here.