Rue B is a British Jewellery brand located in York but expanding its business in Europe. They have been offering a wide range of costumes, fashion, and sterling silver jewelry since 2002. In November 2018, they approached us to get a quote for their Magento migration project. After one week of discussion, we reached a final agreement thereupon. The project scope included theme migration, data migration, extension migration, M2E integration, new site configuration, and performance optimization. That’s why we call it a typical Magento migration case study, which will help you understand the migration process from the beginning to the end.
How Was The Site Before Magento Migration?
The below screenshot is Rue B’s Magento 1 homepage look. As you can see, there is no standard for the small banners on the homepage.
For example, the names of the collection and the texts on the button are in the same font and size. Moreover, those are not real buttons and texts, just a part of the image, so if the store wants to synchronize the style, they need to edit every single image and re-upload it on the media.
Besides, this design is not optimized for small-screen devices like smartphones. Firstly, because the banner sizes are unequal, the banners are not presented nicely when the site is responsive. Secondly, the header links (including My Account, My Wishlist, Checkout, Login, Sign Up) are too small and hard to click, which should be replaced by a hamburger menu instead.
Additionally, compared to other modern e-commerce website designs, Rue B’s homepage does not show the store’s popular/ featured/ new products.
The site is also based on the Magento 126.96.36.199 version, which goes with a technical-inclined and unfriendly admin panel for the store owner. Also, the website’s speed and performance are not at their best.
To improve all of the existing limitations of the store, Rue B’s owner decided to migrate from Magento 1 to 2.
Objectives and Challenges of This Magento Migration Case Study
In short, our client wants to build a new website on Magento 2 – the same but better website in terms of design and usability.
Based on the requirements, we proposed a Magento 2 migration plan that includes:
- Migrating from Magento 188.8.131.52 to Magento 2.2.7 (the latest version of Magento 2.2.x up to now).
- We suggested using a Porto theme for Magento 2. This theme is close to Rue B’s product style, but it can address the disadvantages of the old design. Also, from our experience, this template has the good coding quality and can be acquired at a reasonable price. Our work includes installing and configuring the theme to make it work properly and changing banners, font, and color as requested by the client.
- Magento extension migration: We found 5 replacements for current extensions on Magento 1 website. The client must buy those modules then we will install them on the new site.
- M2E integration: In Magento 1, the store installs the M2E Pro plugin to integrate its Magento inventory to eBay and Amazon. We recommended the owner use the same module for Magento 2 in the new store.
- Magento data migration: We advised the store to migrate only pivotal data such as sales (orders, invoices, shipments), products, customers, and CMS pages.
- Shipping integration: We will integrate Royal Mail Click & Dropshipping carrier (using an extension) in the new site as Magento 1.
- Payment integration: We will integrate the Amazon Pay payment gateway (using an extension) in the new site and configure PayPal Payments Pro as Magento 1.
- Site configuration: We need to configure currency, language, email templates… on Magento 2 store.
- Performance optimization: We will enhance website speed by optimizing PHP and MySQL codes, images, configuration, JS, CSS… on the site.
There are some challenges when migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2 in this Magento migration case study:
- Magento extension migration: For some modules, besides installation and configuration, we also need to import their data to Magento 2 or adjust their style on the front-end to match the theme.
- Blog migration: The blog of Rue B is built on WordPress, not a part of its Magento website. However, the client wants to merge the blog and the shop on only one website after migration to Magento 2. The difficulty here is not at enabling blog function on the new site but migrating all blog posts from WordPress to Magento.
- M2E Pro integration: M2E is a quite complicated module. After installation, we have to transfer the data from the M2E Pro module for Magento 1 to the M2E Pro module for Magento 2, including all configurations, listings, and orders.
- Shipping integration: The store needs to integrate with Royal Mail Click & Drop, and there is only one available extension to connect between that carrier and Magento 2. The thing is that that plugin does not support the latest version of Magento 2.2.7. Our solution is to install the available extension on the store, but we will fix all its conflicts. Compared to developing a new module from the beginning, it takes less time and effort.
- Email templates migration: After migrating email templates from Magento 1 to 2, there are a lot of content errors that we must fix.
Although there are many issues initially, we could find proper solutions thanks to our strong experience in Magento 2 migration.
What Are The Changes Of Rue B Website After Magento Migration?
There are some significant changes in Rue B e-commerce store owing to Magento 2 migration, for instance:
- The text links are separated from the banners and in the same format
- The products are outstanding on the storefront, which draws customers’ attention
- There is a block to show Rue B’s Instagram images to appeal to the visitors to follow their social network
- The search bar is no longer hidden, which makes it easier for buyers to search for products
- The new Magento 2 admin panel with a modern interface is very easy-to-use
- All of the important database assets of the store are migrated without any data loss
- The admin can manage the blog more effectively, right on the Magento backend
- The page load speed is improved
This is the new appearance of Rue B store after we migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2:
Hoping that through Rue B’s Magento migration case study, you can imagine what will be going on in the developing process and some difficulties that you might confront. There is always a solution for it as long as you choose a competent Magento migration service provider.
Do You Want To Become Our Next Successful Magento Migration Case Study?
Tigren has solid experience in Magento 1 and 2 website development and Magento migration (from Magento 1 to Magento 2 or from other platforms to Magento).
Many clients come to us without understanding thoroughly about the migration process, but with our help, they could convert their websites from Magento 1 to Magento 2 successfully after just 1-3 months.
Moreover, we can meet the needs and budgets of both small and large e-commerce businesses by giving proper solutions and offering affordable pricing.
If you have a Magento 2 migration project in mind but don’t know where to start, contact us, and we will show you the way!