The configurable product is one of the most popular product types of Magento. It looks like a simple item plus a list of options for each variation.
For example, the store sells a T-shirt and offers different colors (yellow, green, and red) and sizes (S, M, and L) of that shirt for the buyers to choose from. In this case, the yellow T-shirt is in fact a separate simple product, which has a unique SKU. Therefore, it is easy for us to track inventory for every variation.
Configurable Product on the Category Page
Configurable Product on the Product Page
There are only 5 steps to create a configurable product. Here we will create a simple product: a T-shirt with 3 colors and 3 sizes.
If you prefer to watch a video instead, check out this tutorial:
Step 1: Add Configurable Product
Go to the Admin Panel, navigate to PRODUCTS, tap Catalog, and on Add Product choose Configurable Product.
(Admin Panel => PRODUCTS => Catalog => Add Product => Configurable Product)
Step 2: Fill in the required information
Click on the Attribute Set drop-down and choose a suitable value for your product. Then fill in the following fields for your product information.
- Product Name: Set a name for your product.
- SKU: By default, this will be your product name, however, you can set a specific SKU for your product.
- Price: Set the price for your product.
- Tax Class: Set this to either None or Taxable Goods.
- Quantity: Set the quantity for your product.
- Stock Status: By default, this will be In Stock.
- Weight: Set the weight value for a single product unit.
- Visibility: This setting will decide how customers can find the product. By default, it will be set to Catalog, Search.
- Categories: Assign suitable categories for the product.
- Set Product as New From: Set the timeframe that the product will be displayed as New. You can also leave it blank.
- Country of Manufacture: Choose the country of manufacture from the dropdown.
- Description: Provide additional information about the product.
Step 3: Create Configurations
First, click on the Create Configurations button in the Configurations section.
Next, select attributes. You can choose among available attributes (tick on the box) and then click on the Next button. If you want to create a new one, click on the Create New Attribute button.
Here we will use 2 attributes – color and size.
Select your desired attribute values by ticking on the box. Once you’re done, click on Next.
Then, configure Images, Price & Quantity. If you want to use the same image/price/quantity for all SKUs, please choose to Apply single price to all SKUs. In contrast, if you want to apply a different image/price/quantity for each SKU, please choose to Apply unique prices by attribute to each SKU.
Check the product summary. If there’s anything you’d like to change, click Back. Otherwise, click on the Next button to proceed.
Step 4: Choose a product thumbnail
Set product thumbnail – select among your variations and make it the shopping cart thumbnail.
Step 5: Save the product
Save the product and review it on the front-end.
Through these five simple steps, you can easily set up a product with multiple options like color and size, enhancing the shopping experience for your customers. Remember, the key to a successful configurable product lies in the details – from accurately tracking inventory with unique SKUs to selecting the perfect thumbnail for your product display.
By following this guide, you’re not only simplifying your product management but also elevating the user experience on your e-commerce platform. As Magento continues to evolve, it consistently proves itself as a powerful tool for online retailers seeking flexibility and efficiency in their product offerings.