Since different online businesses have different needs depending on various factors, the most popular eCommerce platform may not be suitable for your business. There are so many fantastic eCommerce platforms, but how to choose the right “home” for a business? To make it easier for you, here is the list of the 20 best eCommerce platforms in 2022.
What Is An eCommerce Platform?
An eCommerce platform is a software that allows a business to sell over the internet and customers to purchase products or services online.
When it comes to eCommerce platforms, there are two main choices:
- Open-source: opens for everyone to modify the code source to build and create exactly what they need for their eCommerce solution.
- Software as a Service (SaaS): a type of platform for businesses to rent and use immediately instead of building a custom one or using an open-source type.
The Best eCommerce Platforms In 2022
Many businesses consider Magento to be the best open-source eCommerce platform, but what are the reasons that make Magento an industry leader? Because it is able to handle a large amount of traffic and has so many great features that can support a business.
Magento is based on a PHP framework that enables building online business easily. This platform offers different plans to allow easy integration of the 3rd party app into the eCommerce store.
Magento open-source is the free version that allows downloading, customizing, and running on the Magento host or businesses’ own server. However, the free version of Magento has some limitations that can affect a business. For large corporates, their choice is Magento Commerce which comes with plenty of built-in advanced functions. Furthermore, eCommerce businesses can also consider Magento POS software from third party merchants to make sure their sites integrate well with the store operations
Because Magento is built to utilize resources for eCommerce, it’s more complicated to develop a site on Magento than on other platforms. Thus companies usually turn to professionals for help. To meet the demands, there are also many web development providers that can build excellent Magento stores. Tigren is one of the best among them with excellent Magento web development services. Sites built by the Tigren team are optimized for top performance, and loading speed and they come with advanced features for eCommerce.
- It is flexible and can be modified to adjust to different businesses’ needs
- Provide a wider range of features than other platforms, which is one of the biggest benefits of choosing Magento over others
- Offer optimal scalability
- Include a large community of users
- It is much more mobile-friendly
- It is great for SEO
- Allow anyone to start selling online fast just from a simple store
- Can handle the rapid increase in products and sales
- Require coding knowledge to start
- Have limited product support if you don’t pay for the expensive enterprise package
- Difficult set-up process
- Can be expensive
Free, Magento Commerce up to $24,000 a year.
Medium to large businesses that have developer resources.
Who is using Magento?
- Sigma Beauty
- Nestle Nespresso
Based on the PHP programming language and built on the WordPress management system, WooCommerce is considered one of the best free eCommerce platforms.
It powers more than 30% of online stores and is proud to be the most popular eCommerce platform by far. It can turn any WordPress site into an eCommerce business, and it is suitable for any size business.
WooCommerce has a lot of benefits to offer, but it also brings some negative sides as well.
- Built for all types of business, from small size businesses to big businesses.
- Free and open source for everyone to try
- Offer eCommerce owners to add countless product lists in a variety of categories.
- Accept almost all sorts of payment
- Have a professional look
- Allow you to diversify and customize themes for your eCommerce site.
- Provide businesses with resources to take care of SEO
- does not require much technical skills and knowledge to get started
- Require users to pay for extensions for more features
- Need to pay for hosting
- Must have WordPress knowledge
- Does not include legal texts such as conditions and terms, shipping regulations, etc
Free for WordPress account, but require hosting and plugins fees
Sites that make use of WordPress, from small to medium-size businesses.
What sites are using WooCommerce?
- Porter and York
- Underwear Expert
- Root Science
- Henry J Socks
Shopify is one of the biggest names in the eCommerce platforms game. It is easy for business owners to set up and launch their eCommerce site with many available templates.
It offers you the choices to use the existed templates, customize them or design your own store site’s look. Besides, Shopify supports a wide range of payment methods and is great with data protection.
Shopify would be the best choice if an eCommerce business depends on Facebook and Instagram marketing, but a bad choice if they focus on SEO. Like everything else, Shopify has both advantages and disadvantages, so let’s have a look at them.
- Is easy and quick to set up
- Have several pricing plans
- Offer quick downloading speed
- Have a clear interface and beautiful storefront themes with varied designs
- Take care of transaction processing time
- Provide 24/7 support
- Provide weak SEO
- The checkout process is not customizable
- Can be expensive if apps add up
- Require a developer to develop and upgrade advanced features
From $9 to $299 a month, with Shopify Plus, pricing is varying.
All sizes of eCommerce businesses, from small to large level eCommerce businesses.
Who is using Shopify?
- Kraft Heinz Co
- Lindt & Spruengli
- Whole Foods Market
- Red Bull GmbH
- Hyatt Hotels Corp
BigCommerce is a leading hosted Saas eCommerce platform that provides online stores with various customizable templates and extreme scalability. Compared to other competitors, it has more built-in sales tools and it is also SEO-friendly.
Depending on a business’s needs, BigCommerce offers different payment plans with a variety of features to build an online store in an easy way. Designed to help boost large and fast-growing businesses, it can be a perfect solution for any business that desires to increase its sales.
- It is convenient to add products
- Have a simple user interface
- Offer quick customer support
- It is able to include a lot of products
- Have fast loading time on all devices
- Have multiple payment options
- Allow integration with third-party apps
- It is bad at tracking customer information for their orders
- Have limited shipping options
- Have to do the work manually
- Do not have many design templates for small businesses that can’t afford unique designs
From $29 to $299 monthly, Enterprise pricing varies
Ambitious eCommerce businesses who wish to go bigger, online stores that sell through other platforms such as Etsy, eBay, etc.
It is not suitable for businesses that have small-scale selling and a few products.
Who is using BigCommerce?
- Woolrich International
- Dress Up
- B-Wear Sportswear
Well-known for being one of the most popular PHP eCommerce platforms, Opencart suits the needs of small online businesses that do not have much technological knowledge.
Opencart is easy to manage, with 13,000 extensions, 36 payment methods, more than 8 shipping methods, and so on. Due to its ease of use and setup, it enables businesses to start selling online fast with hundred of ready-to-use options.
- Free and open-source to download and use
- Can be customized easily
- Offer easy integration with a variety of extensions
- Fast and lightweight
- Make it easier for business owners to manage their stores
- Compatible with almost all payment gateways and allows choosing preferred shipping methods
- Create some SEO issues
- Provide a slow checkout process, which might annoy some customers
- Require Add-ons
- Have limited feature set
- Offer limited customer support
Free for open-source version, require additional fees for OpenCart Cloud version
Startups or small businesses that do not have many technological resources
Who is using Opencart?
- Short Lines
- The British Red Cross’s gift shop
- Missy Empire
PrestaShop is a very popular open-source eCommerce platform among online retailers. Based on the PHP programming language, Prestashop offers hundreds of features to help you manage your product catalog, online store, multi-shop setup, and more.
It is free to download and you can customize it as how you like it to be. Another thing about Prestashop is that it does not require much technical experience to install and create your own online shop. That’s the reason why Prestashop is an ideal solution for any startup or small business.
- It is a lightweight platform
- Bring customer good performance and smooth functionality
- Allow switching languages
- Support multi-currency
- Have self-hosted and hosted options
- Allow customizing
- It is strong with SEO and supports SEO perfectly
- Have a large community
- Add-ons is costly
- Still require some developing skills
- Customizable templates are quite expensive
- Require fees if you need support
- Lack features if you use hosted version
Free, plus other fees
Small businesses or startups with some web experience
Who is using Prestashop?
- Monsieur Chaussure
- Sumo Lounge
- Papier Tigre
7. Wix Commerce
Compared to other platforms, Wix Commerce is a new name in the market. However, it has gained its reputation for being one of the most popular cloud-based website builders with extremely easy-to-use features.
The best thing about this platform is the fact that even people with no coding experience can create their own websites in no time. This means you can build a basic website in just a few minutes.
Its free plan is perfect for new businesses that need a powerful tool to create and manage their online stores. You can get access to a variety of pre-designed templates and you can customize them as you want.
However, Wix Commerce will put a lot of ads on your website and the only thing you can do to avoid it is by upgrading your free plan to one of its premium plans, starting at $4.5 monthly.
- It is easy to use
- Do not require any coding experience
- It is affordable
- Have creative templates
- Allow multiple payment methods with no commission, which means it does not take a cut from the payment
- Support product videos
- It is weak at SEO
- Lack features than other platforms
- Only suitable for small businesses
- The free plan comes with countless ads, which can annoy your customers
- Do not provide access to underlying code
- Do not offer abandoned cart recovery
- Have a poor inventory system
Free for the free plan, premium plans vary from $4.5 to $25
Small businesses that do not have much coding experience
Who is using Wix Commerce?
- Coal & Canary
- Evolve Clothing Gallery
- The Spice Suite
While the choices of eCommerce platforms mentioned in this blog, cover most of the solutions, there is also a unique third category 一 self-hosted, license-based platforms.
Yo!Kart is a leading eCommerce platform that falls under this category. To add to the uniqueness, the software is a multi-vendor marketplace solution out-of-the-box. It lets entrepreneurs to enterprises, launch an online marketplace like Amazon, Etsy, Alibaba, and others 一 where multiple sellers sell to customers and the portal owner manages the website and the business.
- Lifetime ownership with a one-time payment and NO hidden or transaction costs thereafter.
- Full source code-ownership.
- Multiple third-party APIs are pre-integrated for seamless eCommerce business operations.
- Complete feature set for the admin, sellers, and buyers.
- Separate vendor storefronts with personalization options.
- Product catalog system with elastic search module.
- Readymade buyer mobile apps for iOS, and Android platforms.
- 20+ Pre-integrated payment gateways, and other popular payment options.
- Scalable with the support for unlimited product listings.
- Up to 1-year of Free technical support.
- For the growing B2B eCommerce market, there is also Yo!Kart B2B with B2B-specific functionalities.
- Changes in design via themes are limited. Further customizations are paid.
- Updates have to be purchased. But the need arises only if the updates come with features essential for a business.
Starts from $999 (one-time payment)
Startups, SMBs, and Enterprises that need expert eCommerce services with the solution, SaaS-based eCommerce businesses considering re-platforming.
Who is using Yo!Kart marketplace solution?
- UNI diamonds
- A fortune 500 brewery
Being known as one of the oldest open source and self-hosted eCommerce platforms, osCommerce allows anyone to create their desired online store’s website. Your store on osCommerce can be customized and extended to your preference.
It has developed a community of over 26,000 online store merchants and a lot of developers and users. To consider it thoroughly, let’s have a look at its advantages and disadvantages.
- Offer amazing online support
- It is free to launch a website
- It is easy to set up and manage
- Have a lot of plugins available enabling you to customize your eCommerce store
- Can take advantage of more than 7,000 free features
- Have beautiful templates
- Require developers to get started
- It is not easily scalable
- Is prone to bugs
Small to middle size businesses that have developer resources or web experience
Who is using OsCommerce?
- Search Engine Optimization, Inc.
- Whitehall Resources Limited
- Social Security Administration
10. Square Online
Square online is a simple-to-use and affordable eCommerce platform for anyone who wants to create a website for his/her online store. Famous for being a versatile payment solution, Square online has every it takes to build an eCommerce site. First, let’s look at the benefits it brings and its downsides.
- Make it easy to set up an eCommerce site from scratch
- Allow third-party apps integration
- Have great features at a reasonable price
- Help business owners keep track of product sales, customer journeys, and abandoned cart recoveries easily
- Have inbuilt marketing features which can support almost all kinds of marketing
- It is only suitable for simple eCommerce websites
- Lack customization
- Do not have a completely reliable customer support system
From free to $72 a month
Small businesses that want to build a basic eCommerce website
Who is using Square online?
- The Dash Bar
- Sheek Beauty
- Beauty by Jonina
VirtueMart is an open-source eCommerce platform designed to use the Joomla management system. It is a unique solution to make a website from scratch, with easy setup and management.
Business owners have the option of running it as a shopping cart and in a catalog mode. VirtueMart allows you to access a lot of features and change the look and feel of your website using Joomla templates.
VirtueMart is a perfect solution for any business that wants to sell overseas since it supports multiple languages. Besides, it is famous for being SEO-friendly, which can help business owners gain more organic traffic. You should always work closely with your SEO consultant to implement your products into VirtueMart.
- Have multi-language capabilities
- Allow third-party integrations such as payment gateways, accounting applications, social networks, and so on
- Allow adding unlimited products and categories
- Support SEO significantly and can increase the amount of organic traffic for your business
- Only work on the Joomla content management system
- Do not provide as many features as other platforms
- It is a little more complex than other platforms
Businesses that have existing Joomla CMS sites
Who is using VirtueMart?
- Hanz de Fuko
Based on CMS, and WordPress, Jigoshop is also an ideal solution for anyone who is into WordPress and an easy-to-use platform. It is often compared to WooCommerce because of its ease of use and the similarity of the interface.
Paying for additional themes and extensions is a must if you want to create an effective and convenient online store. But if you just want a simple online store, the free templates will work for you. Jigoshop provides you with a wide range of plugins and add-ons and other tools that make your website stand out.
- Have a simple and quick setup
- Install Jigoshop on WordPress sites easily, which means it is easy to edit the code
- Is easier to use than other platforms
- Have some of the best-looking themes on the market at a reasonable price
- Have up to 40 free extensions
- Do not have customer support
- Have no free SEO options
- Do not allow creating a single product with variations
- It Will cost you some money eventually to make use of this platform
- Do not have a lot of partners at the moment
Free, other plans vary
Small to large-sized businesses that make use of WordPress
Sites that are using Jigoshop:
Considered one of the best shopping cart software available at present, Xcart has helped more than 35.000 business owners to create their online stores.
This platform is free, open-source, and self-hosted and it can offer something that you won’t find on other platforms. If you use this platform, you will get access to a lot of shipping options, payment modules, and unique features.
Xcart also has good customer support that is available to help anytime you need it. To suit the needs of users, this platform always tries to update itself on a daily basis.
Another thing about Xcart is that it offers users lifetime subscriptions instead of month-to-month ones. And if you want to upgrade your plan, it will deduct your previous payment which can help you save some money. Xcart also offers different hosting payment plans and there will be no transaction fees when using it.
- Offer a lifetime subscription
- It is extremely customizable
- It is scalable
- Get multi-language and multi-currency capabilities
- It is completely secure and safe
- Have a good customer support
- Require fees for direct customer support, which is quite expensive
- Require development and coding skills to make use of it
- Have to pay for hosting in case you use one of the paid plans
- The premium and upgrading plan starts from $495, which is expensive compared to other platforms
Free, paid plans vary from $495 to $5,995 one-time fee.
Mid-sized and growing businesses to Enterprise-level businesses with development resources
Sites that are using X Cart:
14. Zen Cart
Based on the origin of osCommerce’s code, Zen Cart focuses more on the templates. It provides business owners with a host of features and page user’s manual, over 1800 add-ons in 16 categories, and so on.
Zen cart is much more user-friendly than other eCommerce platforms, so it is suitable for people who don’t have advanced development skills.
It also has many users and a large support community. The greatest benefit of Zen cart that must be mentioned is its great product management. However, if your business has so many products, you should consider other platforms since Zen Cart can only handle a proper number of products, or else the system will slow down.
- It is a secure system and it protects the website as well as the customer information.
- Is great for scaling up an online business
- Have various features and customization options
- Have a strong community
- It is easy to update
- Offer great multi-language options
- Do not provide any dedicated and formal support
- Have average and not so unique templates
- Have fewer additional modules than others
Free, other plans’ pricing varies depending on providers and extensions
Small to mid-sized businesses
Who is using Zen Cart?
- The Hobby Shop
- Pipe Divan
- Jim Butcher
- Health Cabin
- US Armorment
15. Drupal Commerce
Used by more than 60,000 websites, Drupal Commerce is among one of the most well-known open-source eCommerce platforms when it comes to designing any kind of website.
Drupal Commerce has a really good security system that can ensure safety for customers when shopping online. It is not only customizable but also very SEO-friendly.
Drupal Commerce is a big competitor of WordPress on the market. If you have a Drupal website, this solution is for you. However, it is quite complicated to use and not suitable for beginners, so consider it before you choose this eCommerce platform.
- Have a professional design
- Have better overall speed and performance than other eCommerce platforms
- Contain complete product management and administration system
- Allow third-party integrations for gateway payment, social networks, and so on
- It is not meant for beginners since it is pretty complex
- Cost money if you need direct support
- Only work with Drupal websites
- Have a high hosting price
Free, you only need to pay when you hire an agency to help you.
Big-sized businesses and large enterprises
Who is using Drupal Commerce?
- Guarlain – a French perfume brand
- Eurocentres – a leading language travel organization
- Fooda – a food provider based in the US
- ioby – an environmental nonprofit organization
- Lush Cosmetics – a business based in the UK
nopCommerce is a completely free and open-source eCommerce platform for online businesses. It has been powering more than 60,000 online stores and has been downloaded more than 3 million times.
You can add an unlimited number of products and accounts using nopCommerce, and it also accepts popular payment and shipping methods. NopCommerce is so flexible that it can support multiple stores across different domains, which is a big plus for online businesses. It can meet any business’s requirements thanks to its flexible architecture.
- Is an open-source platform and is completely free to use
- There are different options for downloading: the simplified one-click install version for people with no programming experience and the source code version for developers
- Include all essential features to create an online store
- Support multiple stores
- If you want to remove the “Powered by nopCommerce” link from your online site, you will need to pay an additional fee of $250
- Have a limited customer support
- May take a lot of money to hire a development agency, third-party add-ons, and pay for web hosting
Free, but there are some additional fees besides
Businesses that have development resources
Who is using nopCommerce?
- Volvo Cars Collection
- BN Technologies Limited
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation
- University of California-Los Angeles
- Harman / Kardon
- Turkish airlines
Weebly is one of the best free plans and largest site builders on the market right now. It has been powering more than 40 million websites and it offers the most generous tools for payment processing.
Weebly provides users with a lot of responsive design templates and unique features. For anyone with no technical skills, they can take advantage of the drag-and-drop customizability feature. For people with some coding experience, Weebly also offers a code editor for them to customize the site.
There are different pricing options when it comes to using the Weebly platform, starting from $0 to $25 per month. For an eCommerce business, it is recommended that you use the business plan for eCommerce, which will cost you $25 a month.
- It is easy to use, especially for beginners who do not have any coding experience
- Have straightforward eCommerce tools
- It is free and the business plan is affordable
- It is mobile-friendly
- Allow adding unlimited products, so you can sell as many products as you want
- Take a 2.9% transaction fee and 30c processing fee
- Have weak SEO
- Some of the features are quite basic
- Do not support multi-channel selling
- Put ads on your site
- Lack third-party integrations
From $0 to $25 a month
Beginner, startups, and small-sized businesses
Who is using Weebly?
- Douk Snowboards
- The Whiskey Ball
- C My Paris
- The Bike Seat
- Leo Edwards Photography
Ecwid is a SaaS eCommerce platform that offers similar features as other SaaS solutions. However, there is a special thing about Ecwid, it is the fact that it can be implemented on any existing platform such as WordPress or Drupal.
This will help you save the time of building a brand new website, but it will require some lines of code to get there. Ecwid is not a powerful website, but it would be helpful for small businesses with a tight budget, with a free version and a business unlimited plan version for $99 a month.
For the free version of Ecwid, you can only add a limited number of products, whereas the unlimited plan will support unlimited products. Therefore, if you have a few products to sell, the free version is fine for you. If not, you can purchase its unlimited plan.
- Allow implementation of the store on existing sites
- It is easy to use
- It is affordable for small businesses
- Offer management tools
- It is optimized for mobile
- Do not charge any transaction fee
- It is not a powerful eCommerce platform
- Limit the number of products for the free plan
- It is weak at SEO
- It is not a complete eCommerce website (it does not offer advanced eCommerce features)
- Require some coding experience
From $0 to $99 per month
Small businesses with existing websites, businesses that do not focus on eCommerce
Who is using Ecwid?
- The Mocktail Club
- Mermaids and Dinosaurs
- NNA Cake Couture
- Fig & Honey
- Beckley Candle
- Cooking With Tenina
- Mesa De Vida
Among all eCommerce platforms and website builders, Squarespace is famous for having nice and well-designed templates. It is an all-in-one hosted platform offering more than 100 drag-and-drop templates.
It comes with a better blogging tool and support than most of its competitors. This is the reason why it is perfect for beginners and small online stores.
There are two options for e-commerce: the basic and advanced plans, starting from $26 to $40 per month depending on each business’s needs. With Squarespace, anyone can start their own beautiful online stores sites and sell their first products easily and quickly.
- It is convenient, quick, and easy to get started
- It is good for SEO
- Have impressive template designs
- It is affordable for most businesses
- It is good at supporting blogging tools
- Lack some features for eCommerce businesses
- Have no phone support
- Lack of third-party integrations such as Amazon, Paypal
From $26 to $40 per month, but you will need to pay it annually
Startups and small eCommerce businesses
Who is using Squarespace?
- PICA Things We Love
- Focus21 Inc.
- Fighting Eel
- Darren Booth
- The Hatch Institute
- Lift Environmental Design
20. Spree Commerce
Based on Ruby on Rails programming language and built for multi-langue and multi-currency global brands, Spree Commerce is one of the best open-source eCommerce solutions that are completely free to use.
Its no-cost feature has made it a popular choice amount eCommerce businesses and is used by more than 45.000 online stores. It is perfect for developers, but it will be a nightmare for beginners to get to know it.
With Spree Commerce, you can add and replace any functionality you need for your site, meaning you are not stuck with a normal and boring eCommerce site.
You will get exactly what you want for your business thanks to Spree Commerce. However, you will need at least a dedicated developer to help you with the work since it requires someone with experience to handle it well.
- It is completely free of charge, meaning you don’t have to pay any fee to download it
- Feel free to customize it as much as you want to create your ideal online business
- Allow third-party integrations
- It is compatible with SEO
- It is fast and flexible
- Have a solid and reliable support
- Require someone with a technical background
- Have limited themes at the moment
- May need to hire some specialist web developers to support
Global brands and businesses with development resources
Who is using Spree Commerce?
- Marley Spoon AG
- Align Technology Inc
- Puppet Labs
- Urban Ladder
- Finery London
Bagisto is considered to be one of the best open-source eCommerce platforms due to its basic and advanced features available for merchants. Built on top of the PHP Laravel framework, it offers a wide range of features and options without requiring any extensions, making it a go-to for startups and beginners.
It allows making a multi-vendor marketplace and has powerful SEO, and it is doing a great job in helping new eCommerce businesses get their own places on the market.
- It is great for SEO
- It is easy to customize
- Allow multi-store selling
- Have creative templates
- When combined with PWA, it can provide an app-like look and functionality
- It is quite complicated to integrate with third-party solutions
- It is a bit tricky for new users to install new modules
Sites that are using Bagisto:
1. What is the best open-source eCommerce platform?
This question is quite tricky and hard to answer since it depends on what you are looking for to decide which one is the best open-source eCommerce platform. However, here is the list of 6 of the best open-source eCommerce platforms that may work for you:
- Zen Cart
2. What eCommerce platform has the best SEO?
Considering all factors related to good SEO, we can say that Shopify and WooCommerce are the best at supporting SEO and marketing plans. Besides, Magento is also a safe bet for mid-sized to large businesses in terms of powerful SEO.
3. What is a subscription-based eCommerce platform?
Basically, a subscription-based e-platform is a system that allows merchants to sell and ship their products and services online on a weekly, monthly, quarterly, or yearly basis. It helps you collect subscription fees from your customers every week, month or year.
Some of the best subscription-based eCommerce platforms are WooCommerce, Shopify, and Magento.
4. What is the best eCommerce platform for small businesses and startups?
Shopify, BigCommerce, Magento Open Source, and WooCommerce may be ideal solutions for you if you are running a small business or startup. These are our picks due to their rich features that come with a reasonable price for development. Read full reviews about each of these platforms above to know which one is suitable for you.
5. What are the most popular eCommerce platforms in the US and the UK?
Magento and Shopify are the most popular eCommerce platforms in the US, and the UK.
6. Is Magento an open-source platform?
Yes. Magento has an open-source version that is free for anyone to download. Besides, it has some other paid plans that have more advanced features designed for B2B businesses.
7. What is the best eCommerce platform for dropshipping?
Needless to say, Magento, WooCommerce, and Shopify come to our mind first in terms of the best eCommerce platform for dropshipping. They make up the highest percentage of the number of eCommerce websites around the world due to their high level of security, flexibility, and scalability.
8. Is an open-source eCommerce platform really free?
Yes, it’s free for use (download the source code). However, if you are a merchant, you still need to hire the developers to build your website on the foundation of that platform, which will cost obviously.